Maisan Village of Deokcheon-ri, Maryeong-myeon, Jinan, Jeonbuk is composed
of 438 villagers in 202 households. As 24.7% of its population is composed
of 30's and younger and 50.2% of 50's and younger, our village is a typical
farm village that is relatively composed of many young people who engage in
farming in spite of the high-agedness of farm villages.
Our village connects to other parts of the country through National Highway
#29 and the express ways connecting Iksan and Pohang along with local roads.
It is in high proximity as it easily connects to Jeonju, Namwon and Imsil.
Jinan is well-known for ginsengs, black pork and Mai Mountains. Maisan
Village especially is a part of Jinan that provides all three specialties of
Jinan. The village has Ginseng Producers' Committee to make effort to
produce more high-quality ginsengs systematically and Teotgol Complex, a black
pork production specializing complex, to raise sanitary, delicious and high-quality
black pork. Also, there is a path leading to Mai Mountains Hiking Course
by the village entrance. When hiking Mai Mountains through this course,
you can fully appreciate the magnificence of Mai Mountains to enjoy a distinguished
Names and Origins
Sindong Village was first settled by Kim Family around 1238 and later prospered
as Lee Family joined the Kim Family. The village was first called "Notjeomteo"
as the settlers engaged in producing brassware and distributed them to other
regions. However, it was renamed Sindong in 1800's when the brassware
shops were abandoned.
Daedong Village was formed as Kim Family began to settle in "Teogol"
around 1511. Later, it began to prosper rapidly as Jeon Family, Choi Family
and Gwon Family transferred to settle in this village. First, it was called
"Teogol," but around 1800, it was renamed Daedong by attaching the
Chinese characters of "Teogol" meaning foundation village.
Around 1531, Jang Family established a lecture hall at Seodanggol to educate
the next generations. From 1671, they moved to today's Sindeok Village from
Seodanggol. It was first called Seodanggol, but was renamed Sindeok bringing
"Deok" from Deokcheon-ri around 1800.
Chujang Village was first settled by Han Family around 1235 and later became
a well-organized village as Kim Family and Nam Family moved in. It was
first called "Garaeul" as Juglans mandshurica are piled up in the
forest, but became Chudong in around 1800's. Finally, it was renamed Chujang
with "Chu" from Chudong and "Jang" from "Jangjae-dong,"
an adjacent village, in 1972.
Anbang Village was first organized as Kim Family settled in the region about
1481 B.C.E about 500 years ago. It prospered as Jeong Family and Lee Family
moved in. At first, the villagers called the village "Angol."
According to a legend, it was named Angok by a Buddhist spiritual guider
for its geological formation about 360 years ago.
When the Japanese invaded Korean Peninsula in 1592, none of the people who
evacuated to this region saw any casualties.
Therefore, people started to call it "Anbang" meaning it is the
most comfortable master bedroom.
Panchi Village was first settled by Kim Family around 1195 and later prospered
when Park Family, Jeon Family and Seo Family moved in.
There was a pass leading to Bugui-myeon at the back of the village and as
this pass was called "Neolti," the village was first called "Neolti."
There was another village called "Neolti" in Bugui-myeon, so
the former was called "Inner Neolti" and the latter "Outer Neolti."
A legend says that a Buddhist spiritual guider named it "Neolti"
about 360 years ago.
Also, some stories say that it was renamed Panchi in 1413 (13th year of the
reign of King Taejong of Yi Dynasty), and its name was officially renamed "Panchi"