First we would like to extend our deep appreciation for visiting our home page. Samshin and Berpha villages sit between Mt. Jiri National Park and the Somjin river, boasting first-class water quality. You can smell fresh air and see beautiful natural scenery from any part of the villages. Both villages are a typical rural area cultivating wild green tea trees which flourish around Mt. Jiri.
The steady stream of tourists does not slow in any season. In April and May the village is particularly busy receiving tourists from all parts of the nation to see the cherry blossom festival held in Hwagaejangto as well as the Hadong Wild Tea Festival held under the auspices of the Ministry of Culture and Tourism.
Samshin-ri Originally Samshin-ri was a part of Hwagae-bugok, but was later renamed Hwagae-hyon and incorporated into Hadong during the reign of King Kyongdock (742~764) of the Shilla Dynasty. It was subsequently absorbed again into Hwagae-myon, Hadong-gun in 1018 in the 28th year of King Sukjong's administration during the Goryeo Dynasty. It was again renamed Samshin-ri with the reorganization of the 'myons' and 'ri's' by the Japanese government, which was announced on March 1, 1914 and became effective from April 1, 1914. This rearrangement of administrative districts is still maintained.
Samshin (Three Gods) Village
Chimjom, Berpha and Eoan villages of Samshin maul were known collectively as Samshin-ri. Mt. Bangjang (currently Mt. Jiri), Mt. Bongrae and Mt. Youngju were known as the three divine mountains because egend had it that gods lived there. The village was also called Samsan village ('sam' meaning '3' and 'san' meaning 'mountain') because of the magnificent Mt. Bangjang (currently Mt. Jiri) to the north of the village and Bongraebong ('bong' = 'peak') to the west. There was also once a Budhhist temple known as Samshinsa in the village, though it is not known accurately when the temple existed there. This Samshin village is different from Samshindong, a village name engraved in a rock by Chi-won Choi (nicknamed Goun, a genius scholar during the unified Shilla Dynasty), which is believed to have been kept in three temples-Youngsin, Uishin and Shinhung-and currently remains in Shinhung village at Bermwang-ri.
Hwangjonchon, one of the 10 villages in Hwagae introduced in Jinyangji (1632), is the origin of today's Samshin-ri. As evidenced by this book, Samshin village has a long history. Hyonchong (currently the myon office) of Hwagae had been in Yonggang-ri until its buildings were completely burned during the Imjinwaeran (Korea-Japan war during the Chosun Dynasty). After the war, it was moved to Shinhyonchon (currently Shinchon). Though it is not clear when it was moved, the myon office was in Samshin village until the village was re-designated as a 'myon' from a 'hyon' when Jin-ho Kim was appointed as the first Hwagae-myon head in 1902 (the 6th year of Kwangmoo). Samshin-ri had been the central village in Hwagae until the myon office was moved to its current location in Tap-ri in 1934.
Berpha (Under the Law) Village
This is Berphachon ('chon' means village), one of the 10 villages in Hwagae introduced in Jinyangji, a book written in 1632 about public administration and the products of local areas.
According to Jinyangji there was no village in the south (currently Dockun and Buchon-ri) of Tap-ri. Villages were formed around Berpha because the area was presumably safe from the flooding of the Somjin river and Hwagae creek during the rainy season. In light of the fact that Berpha and Samshin were part of the 10 villages in Hawgae introduced in Jinyangjin, the entire area of Samshin-ri might have been the center in Hwagae from a long time before. Hwagae valley in Berpha was covered with Buddhist temples, as if on the way to the Buddhist paradise. Naturally, Berpha became Berphachon (or Sahachon) meaning 'a village under the laws of Buddha.' Some people say Berphwasa (a Budhhist temple) was in this village, but it has yet to be proven. The Hwagae Public Elementary School (currently Hwagae Elementary School in the same location) was established in Berpha Village in 1928. Later, Hwagae Middle School was established near the elementary school. Berpha became the cradle of education in Hwagae.
This quaint village graces the hills behind Berpha. It is a hilly village. Over the hills to the west, is the site of the Buddhist temples of Toji-myon, Gurye-gun. Before water conservation works were completed and embankments constructed to prevent the flooding of Somjin river, people could see wild geese migrating during the winter. This is why the village was named Eoandong), meaning 'an area where wild geese live.' From this village, the downstream of the Somjin river and the South Sea can be seen. Therefore, people call this village 'Nulanmok (a sino-Korean expression for 'a place of wild geese')' or 'Nulanmegi (a pure Korean expression).'
Currently, this village has only temples where Buddhist monks devote themselves to searching for truth.
Hoehongdori (Returning Wild Geese) Village
Hoehongdori is situated where a stream flowing down from Nulanmok flows into Hwagae Creek. Wild geese used to stop by this place on their return trip northward during spring after staying in the downstream area of the Somjin river. That is why this village is called Hoehongdori. The name of this village stemmed from the wild geese, same as the village of Eoandong. To avoid confusion with its neighbor Eoandong, this village chose 'hong' (wild goose) instead of 'an' (wild goose) for its name.
This village is also called Hoekyoungdori (returning wild goose), meaning 'a wild goose returning to its origin.'
Yongwangso (Dragon King Pond) and Yaksuchon (Medicinal Water Spring)
Yongwangso is near Hwagae Creek in front of Hoehongdori, while Yaksuchon is situated among boulders in the downtown area next to Yongwangso. Medicinal waters began to spring out in the summer of 1927. According to test results, the spring was determined to be cold and containing rich sulfur and ferric deposits. Because it was known to cure a variety of illnesses such as skin ailments, gastro-enteric disorders and dandruff, many people visited the spring. Around the spring was once a motel called Yukmojong, which was lost during a flood and has never been rebuilt. Waters of the spring have a heavy sulfuric smell. Residents often comment that the waters have the smell of rotten eggs or of broiling soy sauce.
Saedongne (Bandaldong-Half-Moon Village)
Saedongne is a new village to the south of Berpha. It is also called Bandaldong (half-moon village) because it looks like a half moon.
Baramgol (Punggokdung (Wind Valley))
This is a valley in back of (westwardly) Berpha. It is called Baramgol ('wind valley') or Punggok ('pung' meaning 'wind, and 'gok' for 'valley').
It is so named because people dug a pond to the west of Berpha ('sepon' means 'Buddist').
Jongdaeam (Jongdae Temple)
It is a Buddhist temple which is believed to have existed to the north of Berpha.
Chimjom (Needlework Place)
It is one of the oldest village names in Hwagae. In 102 AD (23rd year of King Sapa's Administration during the Shilla Dynasty), Su-ro Kim, a king of the Karak Dynasty, visited here with his aides to see his 7 sons who entered the priesthood in Hwagaedong in Mt. Jiri. When a string of the king's coat came off during his journey, the king stopped in this village surrounded by beautiful scenery to have it repaired. This is the reason why this village began to be called Banuljom, meaning 'needlework place.' Residents also call it Samtaedong because the village resembles a 'samtagi' (pan-shaped dust-basket). A samtagi must be emptied when it is filled, so people believed that no wealthy person could have been living in the village. For this reason the village is also called 'worn Samtaedong' (this story is proven by the song Hwagaetaryong). In the meantime, some people call this village Samtaesong because Samtaesong looks brightest and most beautiful when it is seen from Chimjom (the Samtaesong is the constellation comprising the three brightest stars of the Big Dipper).
It is a pond located downtown in the south of Samshin.
Ssukdaebong (Bongraebong, Chotdaebong)
It is a mountain in back (westwardly) of Samshin and Chimjom.
It is a valley to the northwest of Samshin.
It is a field to the north of Samshin.