This is a branch temple
of Beobjusa Temple, the main temple of the 5th
district of the Jogye Order of Korean Buddhism.
It was established in 720 (the 19th year of the reign
of King Seongdeok of the Shilla Empire), but the establisher is unknown.
It remained as a small cell until the Japanese Invasion of 1592
when it was rebuilt by Yeong, Gyu.
However, it was burned down by the invaders during the Invasion.
The main building and the Buddhist statue were restored in 1624 (the
2nd year of the reign of King Injo of the Joseon Dynasty).
This temple is particularly known as the defensive temple of Korea. King Sukjong enshrined the portraits of Yeong,
Gyu and Jo, Heon, who protected the country against the invaders as monk
soldiers, and designated this temple as the defensive temple.
The tradition of this temple persisted until the Japanese rule
In 1910, the Japanese Government in Korea stole the portraits of Yeong,
Gyu and Jo, Heon and monitored the visitors of this temple.
According to 《Beomugo》 published in 1799 (the 23rd
year of the reign of King Jeongjo of the Joseon Dynasty), it was once called
Gasanam and left abolished for a while in the late Joseon Dynasty.
Its remaining buildings are the main building, the mountain god
shrine, and the dormitory building.
The main building was rebuilt in 1624 and has a seated statue of
the Amitabha, which is Chungcheongbuk-do Tangible Cultural Asset No. 77.
The statue is made with Chinese juniper and stands 90cm in height.
According to 《Bokjanggi》 that was found inside the statue,
the statue was made in 1624 at Bugam of Ssanggyesa Temple in Gimcheon,
Inside the statue were six historical texts including a book of
These texts had been published in 1477 (the 8th year of
the reign of King Seongjong of the Joseon Dynasty) at Hwaamsa Temple
in Wanju-gun, Jeollabuk-do, and are considered important academic resources.
It is assumed that the mountain god shrine was also established
around the same time as the main building.