Attraction: General Choi, Young Shrine
○ Village: Daeseo-ri, Jeju
○ Type: Cultural Heritage
○ Location: 155 Daeseo-ri Chuja-myeon, Jeju Special
○ Contact: 064-710-6656
General Choi, Young’s shrine (1316-1388) is situated
on the cliff to the northwest of Upper Chujado Island’s Daeseo
Elementary School. The shrine has <Choi, Young Shrine Restriction
Border>. An engraving of <Restricted Monument> is
placed on the front surface, but many of the letters have been worn.
The shrine has an ancestral tablet, reading <Great General
Choi, Young of Joseon Dynasty>.
The following story is told about the establishment
of General Choi’s shrine in Chujado Island:
In the 23rd year of the reign of Goryeo King Gongmin
(1374), Tamra (today’s Jeju Special Self-governing Province) ordered
General Choi to capture all Mongolian nomads in Jejudo Island. When
General Choi was sailing to Jejudo Island, he had to stay in Chujado
Island from August 24 to 28 (1374) because of strong winds. He
also stayed here on his way back from September 23 to October 10
after capturing all the nomads. When he was waiting for the
winds to stop at Geumsangot of Chujado Island, he taught the people
of Chujado Island how to make nets to catch fish. As his net
greatly contributed to their lives, the people of Chujado Island
established this shrine to thank him and served rituals to him every
Buddhist All Souls’ Day and every December of the lunar calendar.
As Chujado Island was frequently invaded by Japan in the late
Goryeo Dynasty, General Choi’s shrine was established to protect
the island from Japanese invaders because General Choi was very
contributive to protecting the island in the late Goryeo Dynasty.
The shrine we see today was rebuilt in 1974. The
building has three units in the front and two units on the side.
The cone-shaped foundation has rounded columns with squared
beams. However, other beams across the middle and the end
are rounded beams.
The beam spacers are curved with double eaves that
support gable roofing. The walls are built with stone and
protected to support the columns. The front part has lattice
doors and the ancestral tablet is placed inside the main room. The
flooring is concrete and the ceiling has an open structure that
is colored along the edges. A high fence is built with natural
stone around the shrine.