Birth Home of Sir Yi, Seok Jeong
This is the birthplace of
Sir Yi, Seok Jeong (1840∼1910; given name: Hyeongo), the master
of Practical Science from the late Joseon Dynasty. Along with
Sir Gan Je, Sir Yi was one of the greatest scholars of the late
This home was established 150 years ago
as a humble farm house. The main building with straw-roofing
was built on a 20cm-high elevation. The building has a kitchen
to the east and connects the kitchen to the large room and upper
The master bedroom is located to the south of the
kitchen. This type of structure is very rare in the Honam
region. The large room has a small door leading to the kitchen and
a corner of the kitchen has a partition and a door to create a dining
room. The master bedroom is directly open to the front yard.
It has a double-panel door with ten lattices on front and
single-panel doors with lattices to the east and the back. Thus,
it has doors opening to three sides.
The detached house
with three front units and one side unit was located across the
main building. The detached house used one unit for the kitchen
and two units for the bedroom.
Tomb of General Ahn, Ui
This is the tomb of General Ahn,
Ui (1563-?; given name: Daehun; family origin: Sunheung) from the
mid Joseon Dynasty.
He passed the military examination in the
25th year of the reign of King Seonjo (1592) to join the military
force. In the 30th year of the reign of King Seonjo (1597),
he was recommended by Yi, Hang Bok (pen name: Baeksa) to become
the governor of Geoje. When Japan reinvaded Joseon in 1597,
he was led by Commander Yi, Sun Shin to destroy about 20 Japanese
ships and received an award from King Seonjo.
he became the military commander of Jeolla-do and was recommended
to be appointed as a Meritorious Servant by Jeong, Ohn (pen name:
The tomb is located behind Daesan Village.
Its oval-shaped mound is 7.3m in diameter, 23.2m in circumference,
and 1.4m in height. The tomb is surrounded by a stone table,
a stone lantern, a pair of stone scholars on either side of the
lantern, and pine trees.
Baeksan Lecture Hall
This lecture hall was established to
cherish the philosophy and virtue of Yun, Chan, Yun, Yeo Im, Baek,
Seon Nam, Yun, Ji Seon, and Yun, Ja Min.
Yun, Chan was a military
officer in the mid Joseon Dynasty. When Japan invaded Korea
in 1592, he volunteered to guard King Seonjo’s cart and helped
him evacuate even though he was not holding an official post. Later,
he was summoned to the government by King Seonjo and was appointed
to important positions.
Yun, Yeo Im invented the gun and the
canon in the 14th year of the reign of King Hwanghae (1622) and
was awarded a government post. When China invaded Korea in
1627, he was killed during the Battle of Ssangryeong. Later,
he was assigned to the Minister of Defense. Yun, Ji Seon passed
the government examination in the 14th year of the reign of King
Gwanghae (1662) and became the left prime minister. Baeksan Lecture
Hall was established about 70 years ago and is magnificent in scale.
The columns were directly transported from Mt. Baekdu through
the Yellow Sea and are very well-preserved. The remaining buildings
include the shrine, auditorium, and inner/outer gates which are
three units each.