Jungheungsa was established by a high priest named Doseonkuksa at the end of the United Shilla era and is located within the Jungheungsanseong (mountain fortress wall) that was used as a drill ground for training monk or patriotic soldiers. It was destroyed by Japanese soldiers during the invasion in 1592, but rebuilt in 1963.
There are 3 cultural assets including National Treasure No. 103: the Twin Lions Stone Lantern (currently the property of the Kwangju National Museum), the Jungheungsanseong 3-Story Stone Pagoda (Treasure No. 112) and the Stone Bodhisattva of Hell Sitting with Half-Crossed Legs (Local Tangible Cultural Property No. 142) within the precincts of the temple.