Introduction l BBS l Sitemap l Contact us
> Theme Sightseeing
  River/Lake
Principal Place/Park
Mountain/Valley
Museum
Beach
Spring/Mineral Spring Resort
Cultural Assets/Temple
Leisure/Sports
Experience
> Food Sightseeing
Foreign Exchange rates

1USD
1EUR
Home > Tourism > Theme Sightseeing > Cultural Assets/Temple
Ongnyong Temple Ruins
Cultural Assets/Temple>>

Ongnyong Temple Ruins was National Priest Seongak (Dosun), the great priest of late Shinra Unification and Korea’s master of Fengsui, stayed for 35 years to teach hundreds of pupils before he passed away.  It is a 1000-year Buddhist Sacred Place that is playing an important role through the history of Korean Buddhism. Ongnyong Temple Ruins is located in Chusan-ri of Ongnyeong-myeon.  The name "Ongnyong" was given after the provincial name of Doseon "Ongnyongja.”  Baekgye Mountains (505.8M) covering Ongnyong Temple Ruins is a small mountain stretching from the middle of Baegun Mountains (1,218M).  Ongnyong Temple used to be a small pavilion in late Shinra Empire, but National Priest Doseon reconstructed it in 864.  To hold the hundreds of gatherers coming to hear his lectures and the people of "Ongnyong Temple Sect", Unam Temple was additionally built.  Ongnyong Temple was continuously used despite several fires, but was abandoned after the fire of 1878.  Today’s Daeung Temple was built in 1969. There are monuments and towers of National Priest Doseon and his pupil Great Priest of Tongjin used to be placed in Ongnyong Temple Ruins, but were lost around 1920's to leave a copy of its epitaph.  There are about 7,000 camellias that are said to have been planted by National Priest Doseon to reinforce the energy of the land, forming 7ha-wide forest around Ongnyong Temple Ruins.  Although the temple was lost along the perilous history, the camellias stably rooted their positions to keep 1,000-year history.  Our district discovered Ongnyong Temple Ruins, the 407th Historical Relic (National Asset) and identified the sari towers and monuments of National Priest Doseon and Great Priest of Tongjin and a part of the temple through three surface inspections and excavations for restoration.  Therefore, the local memorial of Ongnyong Temple Ruins and its camellia forest were appointed 407th Historical Relic.

Related Information of Gwangyang Gorosoe Village's
Theme Sightseeing
Ongnyong Temple Ruins
Baegun Mountains
Special product
Gorosoe Village
Gorosoe Village
Gorosoe Village
River/Lake List >>
 
Copyright 2002 INVIL CENTRAL COUNCIL. All rights reserved.
This site can be viewed with Explorer 4.0 and 800x600 pixel monitor or higher.