Meju (fermented soybeans)
○ The five necessary conditions of Meju are Korean soybeans,
clean water, sun-dried salt, a traditionally made breathable soy
○ The soybeans for Meju need to be used within a month after
○ Using firewood only, the soybeans are boiled.
○ Then wrap the boiled soybeans and let them dry under the sun
or dry them over a rice straw in a warm place.
Dyenjang (Soybean paste)
○ Fermented Meju made of less than one month old soybean after
the harvest becomes Dyengjang.
○ The maturation time for the Meju contained in a soy jar is
about 70~80 days and once the Meju is well fermented, it becomes
soy sauce and Dyenjang and soy sauce is the water of Meju and the
remaining thick portion is Dyengjang.
○ Traditional Dyengjang is made when you store the thick portion
of the Meju in another soy jar, sprinkle salt over it, and let it
mature over two years in a sunny and well-circulated place.
○ Dyengjang changes its taste in accordance with the water and
location so that it needs to be made with clean water and stored
in a clean soy jar.
○ After you separated the water of Meju, let it fermented over
○ During the five years period, do not boil it down but allow
it to be fermented to make raw soy sauce.
○ As time goes by, the amount of soy sauce will decrease, then
combine two soy jars containing the same aged soy sauce into one
○ Moving Dyenjang to another soy jar makes it bad; however,
for soy sauce, moving soy sauce to another jar is the key to make
aged good soy sauce.
Hot pepper paste
○ Purchase well-dried hot peppers and remove the top and seeds,
and then grind them well in a grinder which is equipped with a metal
○ Using sweet rice and soybeans grown in a clean and non-polluted
region, make hot pepper paste and Meju around Cheoseo and let them
○ Since hot pepper paste tastes less sour when it is fermented
at a lower temperature, make one in November and December by the
lunar calendar. And then leave it fermented over six months in a
○ In accordance with ingredients, you can make flour, sweet
rice, sweet potato, jujube and sweet rice, and garlic hot pepper
Cheonggukjang (Fermented soybean paste)
○ Soak good soybeans enough in the water.
○ Boil them in a cauldron with water until they are fully cooked.
○ Drain water in a sieve.
○ Cover and leave the boiled soybeans with a gauze in a warm
place for 2-3 days, then sticky thread-like substances appear.
○ Pound the fermented soybeans in a mortar.
○ Mix them with roasted soy power and garlic.
○ Then add crushed hot peppers, salt, and green onions.
○ You can make round balls of Cheonggukjang or store it in a