Size 75 ha
No. of farming families 121
Annual produces 1,700M/T
Main grade Fuji,
- Degree of sweetness: 14.6 degrees nationwide → 15.4 degrees
in Gapyeong (1 degree higher than other apples nationwide)
- Since the village is in the mountain, the average temperature
is 12°C and the daily temperature range is high (during harvest
time higher than 10°C) so that the degree of sweetness is at
the highest nationwide and the apple flesh is hard and tender at
the same time, which makes them crispy.
- Located within one hour of the Metropolitan Areas, direct sales
are actively made to the urban residents.
- More than 60 percent of Gapyeong apples are produced in Buk-myeon
which was designated as a clean zone by the Environmental Office,
based on a new technique that grows apples organically and uses
less chemical fertilizers, so that the village makes its efforts
in producing clean apples.
- Drip irrigation was installed in 20% of the farming size and
the village residents concentrate on high quality production such
as Reflective Film and the introduction of Osmia cornifrons in 1996,
which is an apple fertilization bee that allows farmers to produce
high quality apples.
- To diversify apple grades besides Fuji apples and to distribute
the grades per season, there has been an increase of farming land
in Hongno and hwahong, which are Korean-rearing grades (Hongno 26
farms and 6 hectares.
Farm (Evergreen Farm: Yong-Seop Byeon)
- Main grade : Hongno (Popular for Chuseok)
- Model project: A new grade in test
growing (Implementation sponsored by Agricultural Development and
? the lower part of the crown of
a tree with PP film covering
? New grade growing (Pature: Alfalfa)
? Weeding using driving cultivators